A free web app to take the pain out of transcribing recorded interviews.
TimeStretch Player is a free online audio player that allows you to loop, speed up, slow down and pitch shift sections of an audio file. This makes it a great tool for practicing or transcribing music.
WaveSurfer is an open source tool for sound visualization and manipulation. Typical applications are speech/sound analysis and sound annotation/transcription. WaveSurfer may be extended by plug-ins as well as embedded in other applications.
- Customizable – users can create their own configurations. Localization support.
- Extensible – new functionality can be added through a plugin architecture.
- Embeddable – WaveSurfer can be used as a widget in custom applications.
- Transcription file formats – reads, and writes HTK (and MLF), TIMIT, ESPS/Waves+, and Phondat. Support for encodings and Unicode.
- Multi-platform – Linux, OSX & Windows.
Impro-Visor (short for “Improvisation Advisor”) is a music notation program designed to help jazz musicians compose and hear solos similar to ones that might be improvised. The objective is to improve understanding of solo construction and tune chord changes. There are other, secondary, things it can do, such as improvise on its own. It has also been used for transcription. Because rhythm-section (e.g. piano, bass, drums) accompaniment is automatically generated from chords, Impro-Visor can be used as a play-along device. Now having a wider array of accompaniment styles, its use is not limited to jazz./blockquote>