Test your musical skills in 6 minutes!
While working at the music and neuroimaging lab at Beth Israel/Harvard Medical School in Boston, I developed a quick online way to screen for the tonedeafness. It actually turned out to be a pretty good test to check for overall pitch perception ability. The test is purposefully made very hard, so excellent musicians rarely score above 80% correct. Give it a try!
aveX is a free software for running and monitoring ABX listening tests. It works as a Jack (Jack Audio Connection Kit) client and is able to send test-status messages over a network for monitoring purposes. ‘A’ and ‘B’ audio files are read in pairs from a list and played in randomized order, the ‘X’ audio file is also randomized and is either ‘A’ or ‘B’ (double-blind test).
The listening test results are written after every choice in a file in text format.
The program is configured by filling in a very simple XML file.
AudioCheck gives you access to an extensive collection of sound tests, playable online and downloadable in high-quality for patrons. The audio material provided here will help you assess the audio equipment connected to your computer. Using this website, you will be able to:
- Test your hearing, speakers, headphones, digital-to-analog converters… and more!
- Design your own sound tests using our high quality waveform generators.
- Download our sound files to your favorite audio player, and use your player as a portable audio test device.
WaveSurfer is an open source tool for sound visualization and manipulation. Typical applications are speech/sound analysis and sound annotation/transcription. WaveSurfer may be extended by plug-ins as well as embedded in other applications.
- Customizable – users can create their own configurations. Localization support.
- Extensible – new functionality can be added through a plugin architecture.
- Embeddable – WaveSurfer can be used as a widget in custom applications.
- Transcription file formats – reads, and writes HTK (and MLF), TIMIT, ESPS/Waves+, and Phondat. Support for encodings and Unicode.
- Multi-platform – Linux, OSX & Windows.
MP3val is a small, high-speed, free software tool for checking MPEG audio files’ integrity. It can be useful for finding corrupted files (e.g. incompletely downloaded, truncated, containing garbage). MP3val is also able to fix most of the problems. Being a multi-platform application, MP3val can be run both under Windows and under Linux (or BSD).
The most common MPEG audio file type is MPEG 1 Layer III (mp3), but MP3val supports also other MPEG versions and layers. The tool is also aware of the most common types of tags (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2).
This is a program for stretching audio. It is suitable only for extreme sound stretching of the audio (like 50x) and for applying special effects by “spectral smoothing” the sounds. It can transform any sound/music to a texture.
Uses your PC sound card to create audio frequencies in the range 100 to 15000 Hz.