Playlists, or named lists of songs, are an essential aspect of Foobar2000. Whenever you add a song to Foobar, you are essentially adding it to some playlist.
Playlists can be created manually by adding individual songs or automatically by specifying a set of conditions in a query with the result displayed as an “Autoplaylist”. Manually created playlists are static, they don’t change unless you change them, Autoplaylists are dynamic, that is, the results may change at times.
Playlists created manually can be edited directly, while Autoplaylists are edited by modifying the query. However, you can save the results of an Autoplaylist as a new static and therefore editable, playlist.
Creating an Autoplaylist of a Albumlist item like genre:
by genrefrom the Albumlist view selector
- Select a genre from the list of genres
- Right click that selected genre and select
You will now have a new Autoplaylist listed on the playlist manager tab with the name of the genre you selected. Playlists created this way are called an
Album List branch.
Creating an Autoplaylist of a folder’s contents:
- Select the
%path% HASreplace this with the actual path in the search field
- Rename the new playlist (with the path)
AutoPlaylist query examples:
Lossless ~ “$info(encoding)” IS lossless
Lossy ~ “$info(encoding)” IS lossy
Missing title ~ title MISSING (no percent signs)
Never played ~ %play_count% MISSING
No Dynamic Range info ~ %dynamic_range_album% MISSING
No ReplayGain info ~ %replaygain_track_gain% MISSING
No Album Artist info ~ %path% HAS album AND album artist MISSING
Played often ~ %play_count% GREATER 9
Randomly sorted ~ ALL SORT BY “$rand()”
Recently added ~ %added% DURING LAST 1 WEEKS
Recently played ~ %last_played% DURING LAST 1 WEEK
Recently modified ~ %last_modified% DURING LAST 2 WEEKS
Foobar Playlist Management Components:
- SimPlayList Manager has playback status icons, smooth scrolling, and statistics.
- Playlist Organizer organizes your playlists in a treeview fashion.
- Playlist Attributes allows attributes to be added to playlists.
- Playlist Dropdown displays playlists in a drop down menu.
- Playlist History maintains a playlist history.
- foo_utils allows inactive playlists to be edited or protected from editing.
- Playlist_Bind binds a folder to a playlist
- Remove Playing Track ~ Removes the playing track from the playing playlist and optionally advances playback.